In this episode:
Coalfire's Bryce Bearchell tells the story of paying ransom to save a company. News from Ping Identity, SecureSet, Automox, Red Canary, ProtectWise and more.
The pizza is mediocre, but that honey? Mmmm
After more than 40 years, the Beau Jo's on Colorado Blvd is closing. This leaves us wondering, are there any other places with such mediocre food that are so popular? (White Castle maybe?) This week we learned that Comcast is launching an IoT network in Denver, the City's auditors find security issues with the 311 phone system, SecureSet's Alex Kreilin is famous, Automox officially comes out of stealth, and a whole lot more.
Sign up for our mailing list on the main site to receive weekly updates - https://www.colorado-security.com/. We're continually working to improve the show, and appreciate the feedback we get from our listeners. If you discover any audio issues, or have suggestions for our format, let us know.
In early June we covered a fascinating blog post by Coalfire: The Anatomy of Paying a Ransom. The story so interested us that we reached out to contacts at Coalfire to meet the author. Bryce Bearchell is the security consultant who worked this incident and wrote the blog. In this week's interview Bryce gives us more context about his role at Coalfire, the company that was hit by this attack, how they recovered, and lessons for the rest of us, so we don't suffer the same fate.
Local security news:
- Beau Jo's on Colorado is closing after 40+ years
- Comcast to launch 'internet of things' network in Denver
- Denver auditor finds possible security issues with city's 311 system
- Ping named Applied Materials supplier of the year
- SecureSet Accelerator's Alex Kreilin Profiled in Denver Business Journal
- Automox launches in Boulder
- Red Canary Threat Hunting resources
- ProtectWise Research: Winnti Evolution - Going Open Source
- Apex Awards - CISO of the year award is up now!
- Arrow Electronics - Principal Security Architect
- Amazon - Sr. Security Engineer
- LogRhythm - Senior Security Research Engineer job
- Xcel Energy - Senior Analyst, Threat Intelligence
- TIAA - Sr Director, IT Audit
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) - Cloud Computing Site Reliability Engineer
- OppenheimerFunds - Security Engineer
- Frontier Airlines - Sr Network Security Engineer
- RIM Technologies - Data Security Specialist
- Ping Identity - Security Compliance / GRC Analyst
This Week and Next:
- NCC - Air Force Association's CyberPatriot CyberCamp - 7/24-28
- SecureSet - Capture the flag - 7/28
- ISSA COS - CISSP Exam Prep - 7/29
- CTA - Tech Tour - 7/31-8/4
- CTA - Tech Tour Colorado Springs / Community Lunch & Panel - 7/31
Other Notable Upcoming Events:
- 7th Annual Cyber Security Training & Technology Forum - 8/30-31
- NCC - Governor's Cyber Symposium - 11/1-3
- CTA - APEX Awards - 11/8
If you have any questions or comments, or any organizations or events we should highlight, contact Alex and Robb at email@example.com