In this episode:
Feature interview with Genevieve Southwick - aka Bana Sidhe (pronounced Banshee) - Denver's wrangler of security conferences. Also news from Palo Alto Networks, Secure64, Swimlane and Automox.
Girl Scouts - selling cookies, camping and... hacking computers?
The weather isn't the only thing heating up in Colorado. Tons of new meetings posted this week, and a lot of great news. Funding for a Denver home automation company, a new CISO of the year award is posted, new cybersecurity rules for investment advisors and broker-dealers in Colorado, a new board member for Secure64, Swimlane win's an award, and a local company explains the CVE system. And my favorite... Palo Alto networks is working with the Girl Scouts to create cybersecurity badges. What a great world we live in.
Sign up for our mailing list on the main site to receive weekly updates - https://www.colorado-security.com/. We're continually working to improve the show, and appreciate the feedback we get from our listeners. If you discover any audio issues, or have suggestions for our format, let us know.
Genevieve Southwick is one of the most colorful and fun characters in the Colorado security community. Known online as Bana Sidhe (pronounced Banshee), Gen has been responsible for helping organize Denver BSides, Las Vegas BSides, and a number of other security conferences over the last decade. In this conversation we learn how Gen's career at the Renaissance Faire turned into a security career. BSides - Proving Grounds. Denver City Sec.
Local security news:
- Why go into the office? Denver area embraces telecommuting
- Josh.ai - Denver home automation startup raises 8m
- Apex Awards - CISO of the year award is up now!
- Colorado Division of Securities Adopts Final Cybersecurity Rule
- Palo Alto and Girl Scout team up on security badges
- Cyber Security Expert Dan Massey Joins the Secure64 Executive Team
- Swimlane named "breakout vendor" by Forrester
- Automox Blog - CVE System Explained
- Gates - Director of Information Risk & Security
- Connect for Health Colorado - Security Analyst
- ProtectWise - Malware Analyst, Threat Researcher
- Coalfire - Sr Security Consultant, Penetration Tester
- Red Canary - Security Operations Center Analyst
- Webroot - Advanced Malware Threat Research Engineer
- Ping Identity - GRC Analyst
This Week and Next:
- OWASP - July meeting - 7/19
- NCC - Cyber Center Charrette 2017 - 7/19-21
- DenverSec - Meetup - 7/20
- ISC2 Denver - CISSP - ISSEP Presentation - 7/20
- ISSA COS - Mini Seminar - 7/22
- NCC - Air Force Association's CyberPatriot CyberCamp - 7/24-28
- SecureSet - Capture the flag - 7/28
- ISSA COS - CISSP Exam Prep - 7/29
Other Notable Upcoming Events:
- 7th Annual Cyber Security Training & Technology Forum - 8/30-31
- NCC - Governor's Cyber Symposium - 11/1-3
- CTA - APEX Awards - 11/8
If you have any questions or comments, or any organizations or events we should highlight, contact Alex and Robb at email@example.com